Thursday, January 08, 2009

When I Grow Up…



Last night, I was channel surfing because there was nothing on and I was doing my best not to puke after cooking what I can only assume was the world’s first batch of crunchy Mac‘n’Cheese. Somehow I stumbled across the Travel Channel and what was probably the most inspiring show I’ve ever seen…“Man vs. Food.”

The premise of the show is absolutely glorious. This dude travels around the country and eats.

That’s it.

He gets paid to go from city-to-city and eat at all the coolest spots for gluttons. That’s right, it’s not one of those shows that has a dude telling you where to snag the best crème brûlée on the eastern seaboard or one of those shows where a dude has to eat pickled wasps and sheep innards (or crunchy Mac’n’Cheese).

No, no…this show is all about traveling around and eating burgers, pizzas and subs of all shapes and sizes. Absolutely glorious!! In addition to just wandering around and checking out the local cuisine the dude also gets to try out the local eating challenges. Last night I watched him try to eat an eleven-pound pizza covered in five kinds of meat!! Naturally he failed, but he made a valiant effort.

And get this, next week’s episode has him coming to Boston!!

Without a doubt, this is the job I want when I grow up. I’ve got no doubt that dude is going to have to retire soon after an unfortunate, yet completely unavoidable double-bypass surgery…and that’s when the doors swing open for this library-dude to step up and become the Man who gets paid and gets famous for going head-to-head with Food on a weekly basis.

…yeah, I think I can handle that!!

0 comments: