Monday, January 12, 2009

Ted Danson -- What Happened Dude?!

So there I was sitting on my couch flipping through the channels and struggling to find anything to watch. Like seriously, you know it’s bad when you’re--by choice--watching the junior high years of “Saved by the Bell.” You know…the ones with Hayley Mills as a history teacher. Yeah, that’s fine casting right there.

Once “Saved by the Bell” ended and I wisely flipped the station prior to watching another episode, I was without anything to watch yet again. There really is nothing more frustrating when you have 75 channels and not a doggone one of them is playing anything worth more than a ten-second commitment before surfing onto the next number on the dial.

And then it appeared. The familiar piano intro. The canned laughter in the opening scene. The unmistakable front façade. That’s right folks, it was “Cheers!!”

I’ve yet to encounter anyone who doesn’t like “Cheers” and to be perfectly honest, I don’t think I ever want to. The show is just too darn enjoyable. One of the major reasons is the great cast, headed by the fun-loving Ted Danson.

When I was a kid I remember thinking that I wanted Ted Danson (or at least ‘Sam Malone’) to be my uncle. The dude was just super cool. He was an ex-baseball player, he was a bartender, he was funny and all the ladies loved him (or at least he thought so). It doesn’t get any better than that, does it?!

After watching a great episode--the one where Woody and Sam get tricked into kissing each other--I started to wonder what Ted Danson was up to nowadays. As such, I turned to my old friend Google, typed in ’Ted Danson’ and hit enter…and then I promptly poo’d my pants.

I don’t know what the last decade or so has done to him, but he looks scary as all hell. The last I recall he was starting up a new show called “Becker” where he looked like Ted Danson. Apparently now he’s on a show called “Damages” and moonlights as a Malcolm McDowell impersonator crossed with Hellboy (minus the bright redness of course).

Needless to say I now desire to be less like Ted Danson…granted, I’d still be Sam Malone in a heartbeat!!

0 comments: